Welcome to Upper Perkiomen School District


21st Century Education


District Wide Departments


Click on "Parent Portal" at the top of the screen to access Skyward's Family Access


Horseback riding in Green Lane Park

School Board

All Board and Workshop meetings are held at the Education Center - 2229 East Buck Road, Pennsburg.

Transition Services

The Upper Perkiomen School District has an extensive array of transition services that prepares all students for success in their post- secondary choices. Exploration of these options begins by 14 years of age and continues through graduation. Students' interest and aptitudes are assessed at the secondary level and students have opportunities to participate in visits to colleges, universities, and trade schools, as well as the Learning Disabilities Symposium at Montgomery County. In addition to a full time Transition Coordinator, the District has two full time job coaches who support special education students participating in community-based work experiences and training.

PA Secondary Transition is the process of preparing students for life after they leave high school, including participation in post-secondary education or training, employment and community. For additional information on transition please click here to view transition information from the Pennsylvania Department of Education.

transition pic

College Planning

Services for Students with Disabilities in Post-Secondary Schools Information

The purpose of this information sheet is to provide assistance to students with disabilities and their parents regarding the procedures and requirements to access adaptations, modifications and/or support services in post-secondary schools.

Gather Information: Once your child has expressed a desire to proceed to post-secondary education, it is important to gather as much information ahead of time as possible. You can start gathering information by attending area workshops and information sessions prior to graduation. Watch for special flyers, newsletters from guidance, etc. It’s never too early to begin this process.

Attend IEP Meetings: You and your child should attend IEP meetings and contribute your thoughts and concerns regarding postsecondary plans.

Utilize Career and College Search Tools: There are multiple resources for exploring careers, searching colleges and locating information about support services available in college. Contact your child’s special education teacher or guidance counselor for more information.

Contact Post-Secondary Institutions: Inquire regarding the type of documentation and the time frame within which it must be completed in order to receive support for documented disabilities. Most colleges have web sites where this information is published. It is always beneficial to have a face-to-face meeting with the institution prior to enrollment to get a feel for the types of services that are available.

If Testing is Needed: Many post-secondary schools require a recent (usually within 3 years) psycho-educational evaluation in order for a student to qualify for adaptations, modifications and/or support services. Post-secondary schools vary in the type of evaluations and documentation they need to make eligibility determination. We recommend that you request a list of the assessments/documentation required from the postsecondary schools your child is considering. It is the responsibility of the student/family to secure the necessary documentation to help the postsecondary school determine eligibility for adaptations, modifications and/or support services.

Listed below are possible avenues for securing documentation:

  • Contact your health care provider and inquire about having a psycho-educational evaluation provided through the mental health component of your insurance plan. Some preliminary discussions with several providers have included the coverage of these services under the mental health portion of the carrier’s plan. Check with your provider regarding obtaining a list of professionals who may provide this service under your insurance plan.
  • There are occasions when a disability may substantially interfere with employment. In such cases, there is a possibility that the student may qualify for services from the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. Call the Norristown Office at 484-250-4340.
  • Obtain your own evaluation on a fee-for-service- basis by contacting a certified school psychologist. Testing services can range anywhere from $500-$1,000.

Assume Nothing! Your child has access to multiple opportunities to seek out the advice and support of professionals in the Upper Perkiomen School District that may provide assistance. Advise your child to stay tuned to school announcements and postings in and around the guidance office. Being proactive in this process could make a substantial difference in the successful transition of your child to a post-secondary school.

Please utilize the following timeline to support and prepare your child for a successful post-secondary transition. Transition Timeline (PDF)

Post-Secondary Parent Resources

Pursuing further education after high school, a stable, satisfying job, and learning to live independently is challenging for all young people making the transition to adulthood. But it can be especially challenging for youth with learning, attention, and other disabilities—and their parents.

This page is designed to provide parents with links to useful resources to assist the school team in preparing your son or daughter to transition to college.

College Board's Service for Students with Disabilities

Some students with disabilities have special testing needs. Eligible students can apply for accommodations for the PSAT/NMSQT, the SAT, SAT Subject Tests and Advanced Placement Program (AP) Exams. Parents are advised of the following as it relates to accommodations.

In order for students to be granted accommodations on the College Board test, these accommodations must be approved by the College Board’s Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD). Most students apply for accommodations with the assistance of their school’s SSD Coordinator. A recent change in the process requires that applications for accommodations for the PSAT and SAT tests be submitted online.

The purpose of this notice is to familiarize you with the steps involved in the new application system. You can initiate the process by going online to www.collegeboard.com/ssd/student where you will find a number of related links. One of the links provides a parent consent form. If you cannot print out the form, please ask your child’s case manager. The signed consent form MUST be returned to the case manager no later than 7 weeks prior to the actual testing date. Once the form is received, the school can then proceed with the application.

Also, please be sure to read the additional information provided on the College Board’s SSD website, including the links that explain eligibility criteria, documentation requirements, and important SSD dates.

Please visit the College Board website for additional information: College Board Link

Links for Transition Planning

For Students and Families,

Your transition from school to adult live is an important series of steps. Links have been provided on this page to assist you in planning for life beyond Upper Perkiomen High School. Specific questions about your transition from school to adult life can be addressed by Mr. Shane Thrush, the District Transition Coordinator, Mrs. Carol Giblin, the Asst. Director of Special Education, or Dr. Andrea Farina, the Director of Special Education.

The resource list provided is NOT exhaustive, but can serve as a starting point for planning.

Pennsylvania Secondary Transition Guide: This website is organized by topics. The topics cover key areas of transition, including postsecondary education and training, employment and community living. The website also has links to other Pennsylvania agencies and departments that can help support your transition. You can access the website anytime and look for information when it is important for you. If you cannot access the website, you can request a CD or printed copy of the website's documents by contacting your school or by calling the Pennsylvania Training & Technical Assistance Network (PaTTAN) at 800-446-5067.

Autism Speaks: Post-secondary Education Guide: Autism Speaks designed this publication to help you and your family explore the different opportunities and learning environments after leaving high school. The guide offers information on topics such as how to obtain services, advice for parents, peer to peer advice, life on campus and the differences between college and high school. This resource will help guide you through your high school years and the years following graduation.

In addition to the Autism Speaks Guide, below are two additional online resources to help you connect with disability support programs on college campuses.

The first two links provide colleges that advertise their disability support programs.

Colleges with Programs for Students with Learning Disabilities

Colleges where Students with Learning Disabilities Can (and Do) Make It

Going to College: A Resource for Teens with Disabilities

This next resource connects you with disability support programs on college campuses in Pennsylvania.

Disability and Accessibility Support - Pennsylvania Colleges and Universities

Below are links to questions to ask college reps, disability service providers at each college, and even questions to ask yourself/child:

Questions about Support Services (PDF)

Questions to Ask College Reps (PDF)

Other Links that Might Be Helpful:

Also included is a link for "College Funding Strategies for Students with Disabilities", compiled by DO-IT. DO-IT (Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology) serves to increase the successful participation of individuals with disabilities in challenging academic programs and careers such as those in science, engineering, mathematics, and technology. DO-IT is a collaboration of Computing & Communications and the Colleges of Engineering and Education at the University of Washington. Primary funding for DO-IT is provided by the National Science Foundation, the State of Washington, and the U.S. Department of Education.

PREPARING FOR COLLEGE: AN ONLINE TUTORIAL. This Web page from the DO-IT (Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology) program at the University of Washington shares Internet resources for college-bound teens with disabilities, including tools for preparing for college, discovering their learning style, choosing a major, choosing a college or university, considering what accommodations they might need and how to get them, getting funding for postsecondary education, using technology while in college, and finding role models and mentors.


COLLEGE FOR STUDENTS WITH LD/ADHD: EXPERT ANSWERS (PDF): Loring C. Brinckerhoff, Ph.D.is Director of the Offi ce of Disability Policy at Educational Testing Service. He serves as a higher education and disability consultant to Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic. He is past-president of the Association of Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) and former secretary of the National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities.

COLLEGE PLANNING for Students with Learning Disabilities and ADHD


LAURENT CLERC National Deaf Education Center: Gallaudet University's clearinghouse links to sites. Includes listing of College and Career Programs that serve individuals with hearing loss.

DOCUMENTATION POLICY STATEMENT for Documentation of a Learning Disability. Physical Disability, Psychiatric Disability and ADHD

A Post-secondary RESOURCE GUIDE (PDF) for Students with MENTAL HEALTH Disabilities